Many people believe in different myths told about mangoes and often think they are unhealthy. But the fruit is rich in vitamins, minerals, natural sugars, carbohydrates and antioxidants. Here are some myths about mangoes that people need to stop believing in :
1. Mango cause weight gain – Mangoes are fat-free, sodium-free, and cholesterol-free and are rather rich in vitamin A and C, iron, potassium and copper.
2. Mangoes can cause acne and pimples – Deficiency in vitamin A, antioxidants and minerals actually increases the risk of getting acne. Therefore mangoes actually help in getting good skin.
3. Mangoes are not good for people with diabetes – Even if it is a sweet fruit, its glycemic index is below 55 which is not harmful to diabetic people. Mangoes contain an antioxidant that helps regulate blood sugar levels.
4. Mangoes raise our body temperature - If a huge amount of mangoes are consumed they can produce heat in the body. To avoid this, mangoes can be soaked in water for a few hours before consumption.
5. Mangoes are bad for pregnant women – A small portion of mangoes is not harmful unless they have weight gain and gestational diabetes.